Are you bored with your iPhone, feel like you’re in need of an upgrade? Well, you can finally update and personalize your iPhone home screen without having to save up for a brand new handset. The new iOS 14 update allows you to fully customize iPhone home screen to make it uniquely yours.
Finally, we can make our home screens our own. The days of a generic home screen which looks like everybody else’s are gone. It’s time to get creative!
There are probably loads of functions you didn’t even realize your iPhone could do. After all, who reads about every single update when they occur so frequently? This guide will show you how easy it is to give your iPhone home screen wallpaper a completely new and unique look that reflects your personality.
How to Customize iPhone Home Screen
First, check you have updated the software on your iPhone
To do this, you need to go to:
Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install
Make sure the latest update is 14.3 or 14.4
1. Choose an image for your background and home screen
Choosing your iPhone home screen wallpaper is the same as it has always been. You do this by:
Settings > Wallpaper > Choose a New Wallpaper > Choose the image you would like > Set Home Screen
You can also choose whether you want the same image for when your phone is locked (Lock Screen) or choose a different one. You could also download a wallpaper image from the internet if you prefer; you don’t necessarily need to use a photo you took.
3. iPhone Widgets
Now it’s time to add widgets. Widgets are the icons you see on the home screen for things such as weather, calendar, clock, and apps. With the old iOS, you will see them when you swipe right on your home screen.
With the new iOS, you can change the widgets’ sizes and choose where they appear on your screen. Ready for a brand new iPhone home screen layout? This is how you edit your widgets:
- Hold your finger down on the home screen until all the widgets start to wiggle.
- Tap the + in the top left corner to add widgets to the home screen
- Choose the size of the widgets and what you want to display (it could be the weather, the calendar, your location)
- The widgets will be moveable when they are all wiggling, so play around with them to find a design that you like
- You can also stack the widgets to create a scrollable stack of widgets (this is similar to creating a folder for apps)
4. Smart Stacks
So you have stacked some of your most used widgets but need to scroll through to see the information for each one.
How about customizing the smart stack to show information based on the time of day?
Do this by:
- Holding your finger down on the widget and click edit widget
- You can then turn Smart Rotate on or off (This will show you the widget depending on the time of day. Say you always check the news in the morning and set your alarm at night, the rotation of the widgets will reflect this.)
- It also gives you the option to change the order the widgets are stacked in; just drag them into the order you want using your finger.
5. Widget customizer apps
Now you have established how to move widgets around on your home screen and change their sizes; it’s time to get creative.
You can download a widget customizer app to customize your widgets and tie everything together in a theme. You can change the widget’s size, along with the font, color, and design.
How to edit widgets with an app?
- Download a customizer app with cool widgets for iPhone such as Widgetsmith
- Once downloaded, select the widget you want to customize
- Edit home screen by holding your finger down on it
- Tap the + in the top left corner
- Search for Widgetsmith
- Choose the size you would like for the widget.
- Tap on add widget
- The customized widget will now appear on your home screen.
Get some design inspiration and check out some of the awesome designs people have created for their home screens on iOS14.
6. How to Change the Images on Your Apps
For a fully seamless integration of your new home screen aesthetic, you can take your customization process one step further and change your app icons’ images. You do this by either designing your own icons, using images from your phone, or purchasing icons that designers sell.
To complete the app icon personalization, you will need to use your iPhone’s Shortcuts app (you should find this pre-installed on your phone).
- Open up the Shortcuts app
- Click on the + in the top right
- Add action > scripting > open app > choose
- Select the app you wish to customize
- Click on the three dots in the top right-hand corner > name the shortcut > click done
- Click the three dots on the shortcut > click the three dots again > add to the home screen.
- Under this, you will see Home Screen Name and Icon > click on it
- Select photo > click add
- Your app image is now changed
A Fully Refreshed Phone
Now you know exactly how to create a chic aesthetic for your phone’s home screen. Be warned; it may take you down a wormhole, perfecting your ideal home screen will most likely take some time!
While you are in the process of updating your phone, perhaps you want to complete some other hacks. Things such as extending your phone’s battery life or clearing the memory are essential to its overall longevity. You can find some tips on how to do that here.
What have you done to customize iPhone home screen? Let us know; we would love to see how creative you have been.